Sunday, January 11, 2009

monthly mad map mashup #2



In popular culture we often underestimate the genre of myth: true things expressed fictionally. The Lord of the Rings does 'myth' very well. I am a LOTR aficionado, which means that when the first movie came out I queued up early, dressed in costume. By the time I'd watched the extended version of the third movie I was pretty jaded. All I wanted was a multi-million dollar faithful re-creation of the books. I didn't want to watch Peter Jackson's "vision" of how he thought it should go. Therefore this monthly mad map mashup is a memorial to that momentous motive but not to that monstrous massive missive made by that megalomaniac movie mogul Peter Jackson!

3 comments:

Radagast said...

Safe travel back to Morborn.

And wish me luck in the witch-realm. :)

Andrew Bowles said...

What, you didn't think that the line 'Let's hunt some orc!' gave you a deeper insight into Tolkien's depiction of Aragorn? Or that dwarf-tossing subtly shows the tragic nature of the dwarves, created by Aule in coarse imitation of the Children of Iluvatar and fated to incessant strife with them with no certain hope of redemption?

Donners said...

Or Legolas's confused blonde face after Aragorn explained a plan, followed by the insightful comment "A diversion"...