Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Reflection about Apologetics and some cross-pollination

A Reflection about Apologetics

I'm a fan of evangelism and I'm growing more confident in praying for and taking opportunities to tell people about how not to get run over by a 'metaphorical' logtruck. Most conversations I have about God, morality and Christianity with non-Christians generally involve some sort of apologetics, some sort of philosophical background. It's interesting that while I discovered a few individuals at Ridley who are also interested, Apologetics really isn't on the radar for most Christians I talk to. I wonder why this is.

Cross-Pollination:

I'm a team poster on the Tasmanian MTS blog, where I posted this useful list of Apologetics resources.

6 comments:

arthurandtamie said...

Nice one.

I ran an AFES apologetics group in 2004-5: http://bit.ly/11CkKw

I think some Christian suspicion of apologetics flows from a perception that it puts reason on a pedestal -- and fair enough, if you're reading huge Josh McDowell lists of evidence. But today's apologists, including hot Aussies Greg Clarke and John Dickson, are quite different.

My fave web resource is http://bethinking.org

Radagast said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Radagast said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Radagast said...

"You attacked reason. It's bad theology." -- Father Brown in Chesterton's The Blue Cross. But Chesterton and Lewis were from a more rational era, perhaps.

Luke said...

Thanks for the link Arthur. (or Tamie?) I've actually used their theology section recently for some research on justification. (3 great talks by Carson on justification and the new persepctive on Paul!)

Tony, good observation. There seems to be a disonance between the evangelicals I generally mix with and the question wider culture has. Although just as likely wider culture doesn't care about these bigger ideas and the only reason I've come across these questions are that my non-Christian relatives and friends; are a group more prone to think about these things!

Radagast said...

I guess the "wider culture" varies. Some people still respect reason, and respond to rational apologetics, while other (more "new age") segments of society have other concerns.

The problem is that when we say that the Resurrection "really happened", we are assuming a concept of absolute truth. Those who deny absolute truth will easily accept "that's true for you", but will struggle with going further.