Pages

Friday, April 3, 2009

Van Til - the beginning

Being Christian actually requires a fair bit of background. This background is the field of Apologetics which seeks to answer questions about how do I know God exists and what makes the Bible a trustworthy organ of communication from that God to me. These underlying questions about knowledge, God, truth and existence are answered by everyone either consciously or unconsciously before they go on to believe other things.

I've been influenced philosophically by my Dad, whose thought was shaped in turn by Francis Schaeffer and Hans Rookmarker. These men were themselves were part of a wider Apologetic framework that could best be described as presuppositionalism. Over the next few posts I'd like to blog through Cornelius Van Til: An Analysis of his Thought by John M. Frame.