Tuesday, September 8, 2009

'Fearless' by Max Lucado

I have a policy of never saying no to a free lunch, this policy has served me well, so I've extended it to free books. Thanks Thomas Nelson for this free copy of Fearless to review.
Lucado writes like an affable but absentminded uncle. He's affable because he has good presuppositions: God wins, the Son of God suffered the wrath of the Father and Jesus really did rise from the dead but he's absentminded because there isn't any meat to his writing, there isn't any depth, it's all anecdotes and advice. In each of the chapters of Fearless Lucado explains how to respond to different types of fear. For example the fear of challenges, the fear of being a parent or the fear of doubting God. While the book itself would be a good source of illustrations for a preacher or public speaker Lucado fails to connect the theology with the practice and in the process becomes muddled about the definition of fear itself. At one point he quotes from the Life of Pi “I must say a word about fear. It is life's only true opponent. Only fear can defeat life,” but then later says there can be “a holy, healthy fear” of God. (168) While it's great Lucado examines what makes us afraid, he creates confusion by elevating fear into something bad in and of itself, when really fear is a neutral emotion, it's the thing feared that is either good or bad. Overall Lucado misses an opportunity to remind people about how broadly and deeply the doctrine of grace can be applied to their lives.

13 comments:

The Borg said...

Good review, Lukey.

Luke said...

Thanks Borg,

Did you like my map posts?

The Borg said...

Yeah, very interesting. Look forward to more!

ish said...

The grace of a good book review is to flag a must-read amid the publishing floatella or like this one, let me at precisely what I'd like to know secure in the thought that I needn't bother.

David said...

I'd like to suggest a book for you to review: "Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity" by John Loftus.

The author's Amazon webpage is here:

http://www.amazon.com/John-W.-Loftus/e/B001JPCMWE/ref=sr_tc_img_2_0

Blog here: http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.com/

If you would like review the book, and would like a copy, let me know, I can send you a copy care of your church.

Luke said...

If you send it I will review it.

ish said...

David's obvious glee and his self confessed motivation give him away. The last time I saw that expression on a face the owner said "Only acknowledge me and all the kingdoms of the world are yours."

David said...

"...Now some of you may encounter the Devil's Bargain, if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving, at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment. He tries the easy ones first, you know like money, all the money there is, but who wants to be the richest guy in some cemetary?..."

From "Words of Advice For Young People", William S. Burroughs.

Janey said...

Ish - strong comments about David's motives there mate. Isn't any book worth a read for oneself so one can know whether it has anything good to consider?!

Luke and David - another book you may be interested in (I'd like to read it anyway!). Be interesting to compare this with 'Why I became an atheist' - in what their key issues are:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/sunday-heraldsun/frustrations-of-a-faithful-christian/story-e6frf92o-1225769861181

David said...

Just been looking at Steve Ishman's blog.

Finding a blog of original literary prose and poetry is rare. Finding one that you can bookmark for a return visit is rarer.

I've added your blog to my collection of bookmarks, Steve.

David said...

Obviously, that was meant to read "Steve Isham", not "Steve Ishman"

My apologies.

Luke said...

I think David's motives are good and the website isn't his. The book arrived, via an unusual route, so I'll review carefully in October.

ish said...

Apologies if I have confused David with one on the blog where I found a David ... and a few screeds on the author's motives.