Saturday, August 4, 2012

Cross-references?

An important part of exegesis is checking cross-rerfences but what's the best way to do this?

The difficulty associated with cross-refences is that after checking direct quotes and really obvious allusions, the task becomes more subjective and you're relying on someone else's work on making the links. Eventually as I get to know the Scriptures I'll start to make a few of my own but for the most part I'll rely on the connections made by others. How do my readers do this preparation? 

1 comment:

Steve Isham said...

Your question calls to mind the prodigious feats of the church fathers and those who followed whose Biblical allusions were not enabled by any such helps. BTW, it is interesting that Paul Barnett says at times their quotes were loosely quoted capturing the sense and meaning. (No fetish usage there!)