What is a "man"?
- Broadly = two legged animal
- Narrowly = male rational animal
- Obscure = an ontological synthesis of molecular and self-referential intentionality.
- Metaphorical = a ghost in a machine
- Negative = neither ape nor angel
- Circular = the creature with human attributes
- Nominal = the species called "homo sapiens"
- Essential = rational animal
- by property = the animal that speaks
- by accidents = the animal with two legs and no feathers
- by Efficient Cause = creature whose soul is directly created by God
- by Final Cause = the creature who seeks truth, goodness and beauty as ends
- by Material Cause = the creature composed of an animal body a rational soul
- by Effects = creature who produces culture
The only thing I'd want to add is that sometimes we use contextual thumbnail definitions. These vary between context.